No Instruction For TNB To Cut Off Power Supply In Terengganu

Kuala Nerang – The government has not directed any party especially Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) to cut off electric supply in five districts in Terengganu affected by the floods since five days ago.

Deputy Minister of Energy, Green Technology and Water, Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid said reports in the social media that electricity supply in the districts of Dungun, Kuala Terengganu, Marang, Besut and Setiu was cut off were untrue.

He said the TNB had no intentions yet to cut off electricity supply to all the affected areas, and if there was any cut in the flood areas, it would be done according to the standard operating procedure which had been determined as a security measure.

“It is normal practice for TNB…to cut off electricity supply in high risk flood areas and can cause harm to public safety, but this is a temporary measure which does not involve the whole flood-hit area.

“TNB will usually shut off power supply in areas which are badly affected by floods and in houses which have been submerged in water as there is a danger of electrocution through the water.

As of 2pm Friday, the number of flood victims in Terengganu had risen to 5,572.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *